It’s been a few days since our last Apprentice review and it got us thinking – is real world selection of the fittest different or is Lord Sugar a good litmus test for bosses in general?
Well what attributes does Sugar seem to like?
Looks? For every good looking winner LS has recruited ordinary looking folk – he doesn’t seem swayed by appearance, but many real world bosses are of course.
Gender? Ditto he seems to have awarded a pretty even mix from across the genders and probably a few Inbetweeners that haven’t come out yet!
North-South divide? Again LS seems to select his winners nationwide so he’s probably less biased than most real world bosses?.
Smarty Pants? With the possible exception of last years winner who was defo a geek type we know LS seems to have a problem with smart types like lawyers…real world bosses by contrast would probably welcome these skills.
Gift of the Gab? Plainly The Apprentice is at heart a sales based “process” (we hate that word!). Whilst sales skills are of course really vital in any business, most business leaders would probably conclude they’re not the most important ingredient – whereas as a sales supremo not surprisingly LS laps up these people and turns a blind eye to foibles.
So in the boardroom it seems if you can sell you might win, even if you’re lippy, argumentative, not a team player, poor organisational awareness skills etc
Whereas in the real world we think bosses are looking more for team players, empathy, joined up thinking, good paperwork.
Not big differences of course but enough to change the winner – it’ll be interesting to see how accurately we’ve predicted the final three at this early stage!
- Brexit, what else is in a word. A different take on a well-worn story? - 14th February 2019
- Google Glass……they’ve broken the mould but not the idea - 5th February 2015
- The Directors View: The Apprentice – episode 12 - 22nd December 2014
- Time to get off Putins case? - 19th December 2014
- The Directors View: The Apprentice – episode 11 - 18th December 2014
- The Directors View: The Apprentice – episode 10 - 11th December 2014
- The Directors View: The Apprentice – episode 9 - 4th December 2014
- The Directors View: The Apprentice – episode 8 - 27th November 2014
- The Directors View: The Apprentice – episode 7 - 20th November 2014
- The Directors View: The Apprentice – episode 6 - 13th November 2014