- You’ve heard your website needs to be mobile friendly but you’re not sure why?
- You know you need to persuade your boss to take the plunge and upgrade to a mobile friendly, responsive website design?
- You haven’t yet realised just how big the world of mobile marketing has become?
Here are a few mind-blowing facts to make you think about pushing a mobile-friendly site to the top of your priority list*
- Over 1.2 billion people access the web from their mobile devices – that’s 40% of the world’s population currently on the Internet, or to put it another way, that roughly all of China, India and the US combined!
- In 2012, over $1billion worth of products were sold on Amazon.com via mobile devices. Think what $1billion would mean to your company – or what you could spend $1 billion on!
- Paypal’s mobile payment volume figures for 2014 were up 68% compared to 2013 – in real terms, they took $46 billion US dollars in 2014, compared to $27,000 in 2013 and $14,000 in 2012. With this in mind, we estimate that 2015 will show a minimum volume figure of $67 billion!
- 57% of mobile phone users will abandon a site if the pages take more than 3 seconds to load, compared to only 40% of desktop users. Those 3 seconds are valuable and think of all your competitors just waiting to catch your dropped visitors….
- Following that, Google have reported that 41% of mobile users turn to competitor websites once their original choice lets them down….
- Hey big spenders! If your users are on tablets rather than PC or desktop, they’re more likely to spend 50% more due to impulse buying and the speed of accessing the web! Also, tablet users are typically 3x more likely to follow through on purchases than smartphone users!
- The downside? Tablet users, those of the bigger screens, expect websites to load in 2 seconds or less. 2 seconds! You’d better make sure your website’s on the ball!
- It’s not all web browsing! 71% of users state their mobile purchasing decisions are influenced by opening promotional emails on their devices – smartphones account for 26% of all email opens, and tablets 10%!
*Facts correct as of March 2015
Having started out in this industry with about as much marketing knowledge as a gnat, I have worked my way up from tea-making trainee to Head of Search thanks largely to the staunch support of our director, Stuart, and a lot of late nights, strategy sessions and training. At work I am extroverted, creative and always on the Internet, but behind closed doors I’m happiest with my family, my dogs and a good book (usually accompanied with a good cup of tea!).